ARCO – Art, Research and Creation, Opus 2019 is a binational composition academy, association between the Gmem – Marseille (French National Center of Musical Creation) and the Mozarteum University Salzbourg.
Hosted by the Gmem, this first edition will welcome in Marseille, from July 5th to 14th, twelve composers from all over the world. Based on a principle of rotation, Opus 2020 will be hosted by Mozarteum University Salzbourg.
Throughout the week, coachs will conduct seminars, workshops and individually tailored composition classes. Written for the occasion, the students’ pieces will be rehearsed and performed by Tana string quartet, Ensemble Multilatérale and Vocal Ensemble Les Métaboles, directed by Léo Warynski.
From July 5th – 14th 2019, Marseille, Gmem.
- Public lectures by composition teachers and invited artists
- Individual composition classes with Henry Fourès, Yann Robin and Johannes-Maria Staud ensuring the supervision of the students’ projects.
- Seminars on copyright with Bineta John, head of mission : comtemporary music at SACEM and publishing with Pierre Lemoine, CEO of Editions Lemoine.
- Private composition class with invited professor composer Bernhard Gander
- Daily rehearsals with the Ensemble Multilatérale, Les Métaboles and the Tana String quartets.
- “Body-Space-Conscience” improvisation workshops each morning with Elisabeth Gutjahr, rector of Mozarteum University Salzbourg
- Presentation by the soloists of Multilatérale Ensemble on the most advanced extended techniques on their instruments (45 minutes each).
- Creation of the student’s pieces specially composed during two closing concerts.
La Friche was born out of the ashes of the Seita tobacco factory and today it is a place of creativity and innovation. La Friche la Belle de Mai is both a work space for the 70 on site organisations and events.
La Friche la Belle de Mai is a multi-faceted public space comprising a sports area, restaurant, 5 concert venues, shared gardens, a bookshop, a crèche, 2400 m2 of exhibition space, a 8000 m2 roof terrace, and a training centre.
On this new cultural, urban site, we imagine, create and work to ensure that every idea can find an outlet. You can find every form of artistic expression here – every trend and people of all ages. Discovery, debate and the unexpected are on each corner of every street of this patch of town.
Located inside La Friche Belle de Mai, The Gmem will welcome the composers in its exeptional facilities, in the heart of Marseille.
Gmem – The Module, room of creation (©Pierre Gondard)
Tuition fees are 450€. This includes: the classes, lectures, workshops, rehearsals and concerts at Gmem-Marseille from July 4th to July 15th 2019.
Tuition fees do not include accommodation and meals.
An accomodation on site is available, in shared room (2 students) with kitchen and bathroom for 170€ for the period.
Fee for application processing is 20 €. This fee is non-refundable.