ARCO – Art, Research and Creation Opus 2020 – is a binational university dedicated to musical creation, association between the Mozarteum University Salzbourg, Gmem-Marseille (one of the French National Center of Musical Creation) and French ensembles Multilaterale, Les Métaboles and Tana string quartet.
This second edition will be hosted by Mozarteum University Salzburg from July 10th to 18th. It will welcome twelve young composers from all over the world along with two student string quartets and one assistant conductor.
Throughout the week, coachs Henry Fourès, Johannes Maria Staud, Yann Robin and guest proffessor Eva Reiter will conduct seminars, workshops and individually tailored composition classes. The student string quartets will receive dailly coaching sessions with Tana.
Written for the occasion, the students’ pieces will be rehearsed and performed by Tana string quartet, Ensemble Multilatérale and Vocal Ensemble Les Métaboles, directed by Léo Warynski.
From July 10th – 18th 2019 (arrival on the 9th, departure on the 19th), Mozarteum University Salzburg, Austria
- Public lectures by composition teachers and invited artists
- Individual composition classes with Henry Fourès, Yann Robin and Johannes-Maria Staud ensuring the supervision of the students’ projects.
- Seminars on copyright with Bineta John, head of mission : comtemporary music at SACEM and publishing with Pierre Lemoine, CEO of Editions Lemoine
- Private composition class with invited professor composer
- Daily rehearsals with the Ensemble Multilatérale, Les Métaboles and the Tana String quartets.
- “Body-Space-Conscience” improvisation workshops each morning with Elisabeth Gutjahr, rector of Mozarteum University Salzbourg
- Presentation by the soloists of Multilatérale Ensemble on the most advanced extended techniques on their instruments.
- Creation of the student’s pieces specially composed during two closing concerts.
La Friche was born out of the ashes of the Seita tobacco factory and today it is a place of creativity and innovation. La Friche la Belle de Mai is both a work space for the 70 on site organisations and events.
La Friche la Belle de Mai is a multi-faceted public space comprising a sports area, restaurant, 5 concert venues, shared gardens, a bookshop, a crèche, 2400 m2 of exhibition space, a 8000 m2 roof terrace, and a training centre.
On this new cultural, urban site, we imagine, create and work to ensure that every idea can find an outlet. You can find every form of artistic expression here – every trend and people of all ages. Discovery, debate and the unexpected are on each corner of every street of this patch of town.
Located inside La Friche Belle de Mai, The Gmem will welcome the composers in its exeptional facilities, in the heart of Marseille.
Gmem – The Module, room of creation (©Pierre Gondard)
Tuition fees are 450€. This includes: the classes, lectures, workshops, rehearsals and concerts at Gmem-Marseille from July 10th to July 18th 2019 (arrival on the 9th, departure on the 19th)
Tuition fees do not include accommodation and meals.
An accomodation on site is available, in shared room (2 students) with kitchen and bathroom for 170€ for the period.
Fee for application processing is 20 €. This fee is non-refundable.
ARCO’s activities will be held in English.